Thursday, October 9, 2008

Better Late Than Never!

Yesterday was a crazy day at work, so I didn't get home early enough to post my recipes and kids' craft! So today is a longer post!

First I want to share my card that I made for the sketch at Sketches! by Tamara. I finagled it a little bit to fit my spooky card. I am not normally one to make Halloween cards, but this week I have made three! Weird. Anyway, here is the sketch:


You are welcome to join in and play along. See the other cards HERE. A lot of the Design Team went with a Christmas theme, as the sketch pictures show a poinsettia type flower or snowflake, but I decided to do something different and stick with October and make a Halloween card:


My cut out mummy (Stampabilities) is the flower on the right side of the sketch, and the vertical lines of the designer paper (The Paper Studio) are representing the vertical cross piece. My little spiders are plastic confetti that I have had forever --- one day they (hundreds and hundreds) fell on the floor...... weeks later I am in my stamp room and see a spider on the floor (I hate spiders! Why, you ask, do all of my Halloween cards have them then? LOL). I am thinking it's a little black REAL spider! But now I have learned to recognize the confetti shape! The corner web is a little Stampin' Up! incentive stamp and the sentiment is Studio G (a gift from my friend, Shelly!). The black webbing trim is from Really Reasonable Ribbon's September Club offering.
Now on to some fall food! Many of you probably have this Werther's recipe already, but it is such fun to make and give as little gifts all fall. I don't like nuts, so I like to eat this recipe too! (I do add nuts on some gifts). Sometimes I just make up the caramel mixture, put it in little containers and give with a variety of fall apples. We have so many different ones around here (more than 20!), and some people would rather cut their apples and dip, than eat them on a stick! Either way, it's yummy! I double or triple the recipe, depending on how many I want to make at a time.
CARAMEL APPLES
Ingredients
4 medium apples (I use Granny Smith most of the time)
4 apple sticks
11 oz. bag of caramels, unwrapped (I like Werther's)
2 T. evaporated milk

Push sticks into the top of the apples. Put caramels and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Dip apples in mixture, or spoon mixture over apples (on wax paper). Let caramel set before wrapping or serving. You can also put these in the fridge on styrofoam trays for faster set-up. Dip almost set caramel in crushed nuts, candies, and chocolate!
And now for the kids - this kind of goes along with my card! We have done this activity at school aside from Halloween, when the kids are working on the Bones unit!
SKELETON PASTA
Supplies
A few different types of pasta and dried beans, like spaghetti, macaroni, tiny tube pasta, long tube pasta, wagon wheels, long spirals, tiny shells, wagon wheels, lima beans
A piece of black construction paper
White glue
Glue the pasta to the black paper using white glue. Have the kids arrange the pasta on the paper before gluing (to make sure that they have room for the whole body on the piece of paper).
You can use just about any type of pasta (or dried beans) for the bones. A wagon wheel is nice for the head. Spaghetti makes good fingers and toes. Tiny tubes or dried lentils are good as vertebrae in the spine. Long tubes make collar bones. Longer tubes or long spirals make good arm and leg bones. Small shells or dried white beans are nice for the kneecaps, wrists and ankles. Two dried lima beans make good hips.
Before and After Patterns:



Have a super day! Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. Fun card Judy! I love that mummy, though he's too cute to be scary. Speaking of caramel apples, did you see MacKenzie's card today? You both are very clever girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card Judy! And those carmel apples look sooo good, wish I could just grab one through the computer. he he he! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love your card...it is a perfect Halloween card. Thank you for the recipe for the apples and the project for the kids. You are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Halloween cards. I think I need to make the caramel apples this weekend as it really feels like fall here in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very festive and great mummy! Those apples look delic and my mouth is watering! I will have to do the pasta skeleton with the boys. They will love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, Judy! Your card gave me a chuckle! I love that skeleton, and your whole design! Awesome job with the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, fun, fun card Judy!! Love the skeleton!! I also enjoy your recipes when you share them. And that pasta skeleton...too clever and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy the card is adorable but the caramel apples are wonderful. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, I thank you for all your prayers for me during our recent storm in our lives. Things are well. I love your work and love Our Daily Bread stamps. So, I've tagged you on my blog:
    http://www.rightbrainmadness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog through SCS. What fun projects and I LOVE your Jeepers Creepers card - too, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the black mesh/web behing the image. Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super fun card. I love the caramel appleas, I wish I could have one right now.
    This is my first time visiting your blog, but not the last one for sure.
    Have a great and blessed day.
    Giovana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cards are all perfect. Love them all and those carmel apples look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your skelton card...i agree about spiders!! Uuuuuu! The carmel apples look sooo good and really are a true fall favorite. I LOVE the bones card...how cute is that? Very creative, great post today :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey girlfriend! You should really make more Halloween cards....what FUN adorable work youve created here! I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this adorable card! That mummy is great and love the sentiment! Those apples look so yummy!!
    hugs, Jami

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your mummy card and the skeleton pasta idea is fun -- might have to try that with my kids . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Cute card! I like that black fiber/ribbon/stuff on it.

    Cute skeleton idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!