Friday, May 8, 2009

THAT'S a Holiday?

I just can’t believe we are into the second week of May already! Mother’s Day is almost here, and Memorial Day is later in the month. But there are many other holidays in May too.

The SCS Limited Supplies Challenge today is all about celebrations! I am hosting and I hope that you will play along!

Today we are making projects that reflect and represent any May celebration or holiday. I have listed a few fun ones, and some traditional holidays as well, but you are welcome to Google “May holidays” as there are MANY more! (Who decides this stuff anyway?)

Did you know May 8th (today) is NO SOCKS Day and HAVE A COKE Day?? Sounds good to me!

And Moms will like May 10thCLEAN UP YOUR ROOM Day!

May is:

American Bike Month

Asparagus Month

Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month

National BBQ Month

National Egg Month

National Strawberry Month


During May:

Save the Rhino Day (May 1)

Teacher Appreciation Week

National Pet Week

Mother’s Day (second Sunday in May)

Twilight Zone Day (May 11)

National Dance Like a Chicken Day (May 14)

Armed Forces Day (third Saturday in May)

Pack Rat Day (May 17)

Circus Day (May 19th)

Memorial Day (May 30th-observed last Monday in May)

Here is my sample for Armed Forces Day. I am sending it to one of our friends, whose husband is deployed in Iraq right now. She is a special gal and I know it's hard being away from her newlywed husband!


My images are from a new May release from Our Daily Bread designs called In God We Trust. I stamped the eagle in VersaFine Onyx Black ink on watercolor paper and then watercolored with my stamp pads and one of the Aqua-Flo brushes from this set. I used my Labels Three Nestabilities to cut and emboss my eagle and the mat on Naturals Ivory cardstock. I used Brandywine DP from Memory Box for my patterned papers, and scored the burgundy piece with my Scor-Pal two directions. The border is punched with a Fiskars border punch. My brads are by The Paper Studio (did you see the ones in the lower right-hand corner too? They are hiding!)

I used a sketch I made for this month's Bread Basket Challenge at Our Daily Bread designs:


Click HERE to find out how you can win one of three new releases for May when you play along! The deadline is May 15th, so you have a whole week to play!

Last day to enter my Blog Candy drawing here. Today I am adding a roll of pretty ribbon to use with the stamp set, Prima flowers and the Shimmerz!

Thanks for stopping by today!

10 comments:

  1. That's beautiful paper - love the quilted look on the burgundy piece. I remember seeing that on one of Glenda Mosher's cards this week and thinking what lovely paper it was. I am sure your friend will really appreciate this.
    Pack rat day, LOL - that's one I could make for my Dad. Off to google some alternatives now so that I can think about this during work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect use of that stamp, Judy and I love the non traditional colors. Great texture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE what you've done with this sketch Judy!! AWESOME card!! Love the papers, colors, embellishing...everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, your card is sooooo awesome! I love every little detail!! Hey, I could do the Twilight Zone holiday, just put my photo on a card, since I'm a known space cadet!!! Thanks for the awesome challenge today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun challenge, Judy! I did not have time to play today, but maybe I can work it in next week!

    Love what you did with this layout! The eagle on the nestie is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Judy!! Those nesties are just perfect with that eagle, and I love your color choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regal! I love this image and your coloring is awesome again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!