Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mixed Media is Fun~!

Today's creation was so much fun to make. I used two SCS Challenges to inspire me and came up with something I really like.
 
Congratulations to Tina Hale for being our chosen the Splitcoast Featured Stamper this week!! What a huge gallery of fun! I chose this cute birthday card to case. I kept her theme and layout, but didn't use any stamps and changed the media used to make the background, banner, and sentiment.


I used the Mix-Ability 21: Brilliant Pastels Challenge for my background. SO FUN. I have always been scared of Mixed Media but I had so much fun with this, thanks to Ky's amazing video and to my friend, Dina's encouragement (xo!). I am hooked.

I used Distress Stains with the direct to paper technique Ky showed, and then painted with an Acrylic Paint wash. This is two layers. I then stamped randomly with bubble wrap using White Craft Ink and Silver Pigment Ink, and embossed those sections with Clear EP. I used a jute ribbon scrap for some texture inbetween my panels (on the right).

Super fun to do!
Other challenges for this card:
Stamps: none
Paper: Crumb Cake, River Rock, Soft Sky (SU!), Sweet Tooth (Poptone)
Ink: white acrylic paint (Apple Barrel), Broken China and Peeled Paint Distress Stain (TH), White Craft (SU!), Silver Metallic Pigment (Encore)
Accessories: rub on letters (Making Memories), twine, Clear Detail EP (Ranger), distressing tool, canvas pennants (Prima), jute ribbon (Really Reasonable Ribbon), foam brush

9 comments:

  1. Oh my this is so beautiful, a gorgeous creation! I adore those wonderful background and textured layers. Thanks for sharing with us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
    Amelia (DT Sugar Creek Hollow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous work and great idea to use bubble wrap thank you joining in at seemacrafts Seema

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card really is lovely. So glad you shared it with us over at MSC this time.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. The textures in your card are amazing! Thanks for joining us at My Sheri Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Love the canvas banner flags and the background embossing! Thanks for sharing with my challenge at Sandy's Crafty Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your background work on this card and the cute banner, gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy! I just love how you made your background and must try your techniques! Also love the little canvas banners with the grommets. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!!

    ReplyDelete

  8. Thank you for joining in our 'mixed media' theme over on SeemaCrafts Challenge Blog.

    What a lovely make. The colours are lovely and calming. I adore the texture in the main area. The different mediums you have used, really stand out. The frayed hessian along the edge looks wonderful. A great mixed media piece, and I am really glad you enjoyed it so much.

    I hope you will join us each month for our future challenges. Great prizes up for grabs :-)

    Hugs Lisa xxxx DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is What a beautiful background and that burlap edge is a great touch! Thanks for joining us at My Sheri Crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!