Friday, April 11, 2008

Double Pocket Card Tutorial

First of all, I must apologize for not getting this uploaded yesterday. Time just got away from me and I was really tired for some reason! Maybe I was shocked at the Idol results! ;)

Secondly, I must apologize for the quality of the pictures. My downstairs has huge overhead lighting like an office building and it doesn't take very good pictures. So this beautiful paper I am using looks very different and washed out and the colors are not true. But until I can redo this, I wanted you to at least see how to make a Double Pocket card so that you can make your own!

Ok, here we go. Start with a double-sided 8 1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock. I chose Stampin' Up's beautiful Berry Bliss (for those that haven't seen this, it is a gorgeous combination of pinks and browns - and you would never know that from these pictures!).

Lay the side that you want to be on the front of the card up. I am using my bone folder to help hold down edges! I also score every fold as I make it.
Fold the cardstock in half vertically and open, then fold horizontally and open. Cut the left horizontal fold to the center of the paper. I have put the bone folder in the cut so you can see it.

Fold the right bottom corner up to the center:

Fold the top left corner down approximately 2.75 inches:

Fold the top left quarter on top of the top right quarter:

Fold the left bottom quarter underneath the bottom right quarter:

Fold the bottom right corner up to meet the middle horizontal fold (extra apologies for the blurry picture here):

Fold the bottom quarter onto the top quarter to finish. Use your favorite adhesive (double-sided Scotch tape is what I use - it's easiest!) to finish and close all the edges.

I used my Crop-A-Dile to punch my side holes for ribbon - it's a lot of paper to punch through. You could attach eyelets or hardware as well and decorate. See HERE and HERE for a finished card. This is not my original idea -- I learned it from my friend Becky! I need to go re-take these pics and finish the card now! Enjoy!

Edited 4/14 - I guess the pictures work well enough! Thanks to Beth for choosing this as the SCS Try a New Technique Challenge!

41 comments:

  1. I so want that paper!! On my last spending spree ordering from SU I took it off my order at the last minute :( Now I wish I had left it on. I got 2 packs of boring cardstock instead! LOL Anyhow...thanks SO MUCH for posting this tutorial!!! I was wanting the instructions for this card but didn't want to ask. Now if I could get my hubby to forget about yard work today I might be able to craft! ha ha ha He is off at the gym at the moment so I have some time to slack! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instructions, took you some time to do all of it! And I thank you!! Now I can make one of those cool cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I really need to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks so much for posting the instructions, they are very well written and illustrated, and easy to follow. I will give this a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so neat Judy!! Might have to try this one!!!

    No package yet!!! We are sooo excited though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful tutorial and you know I, myself, am kind of partial to gray and pink together so your photography works for me......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting that! Now if only I had some awesome SU DP....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just AWESOME!!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to post all of this!!

    Just another reason to LOVE double sided papers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the tutorial....I've not tried these yet and now maybe I'll just have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial - love this pocket card - I'll be trying it out for sure!

    www.createwithjulia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for these great deets, Judy. I hope to play the challenge soon!

    christine m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome tutorial, judy. I am so inspired with this fold for today's TLC. tfs:)
    chat

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is wonderful, Judy! I just completed mine and before posting, had to let you know that your tutorial was super! Easy to understand and good visuals--even though you're right, the colors look nothing like the real Berry Bliss dsp! Athough you're 2 finished photos and those on scs look beautiful and much more representative of the actual colors and patterns! Thanks so much for sharin your great double pocket card and the directions! hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome card and great directions. I even think I can do this one.

    Thanks again,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jodi, thank you so much for a wonderful tutorial. I just got some of this berry bliss paper and love it. Now I have an excuse to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sooooooo wowed!!!! And totally thrilled that this was chosen for a challenge as it's just gorgeous and I'm so happy to learn a new technique!!! I think your tutorial totally ROCKS and I was able to follow along just perfectly!!! Thanks so much!!!! Now to finish this and get it uploaded for the challenge!!! And I'm so glad I also can add your blog to my Google Reader so I don't miss out on anything!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Your instructions were perfect!!! I tried it and it worked out great! Now, if only I had enough dp to use it for my birthday card workshop. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great instructions, but for some reason I can't print them up. I tried at work and at home. Doesn't look like anyone else is having a problem. Got any suggestions?
    TIA
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many thanks for doing this tutorial! I thought it was going to be difficult but your directions were perfect. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Cerinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just had to say thanks for posting such a wonderfully clear and easy tutorial. Care to see my card? http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/888901?cat=10728

    Take care - Regina Davis

    ReplyDelete
  21. ciao judy! thank you very much for the awesome tutorial! i love your blog~your artwork rocks! thanks for all you share!
    abrazos,
    mirabella(an scs fan)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much - your tutorial was very easy to follow. I just made my first double pocket card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your tutorial, great instructions and so easy to follow.I is greatly appreciated,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for your tutorial. I like the way the pattern alternates with the plain paper. The tutorial I followed before didn't end up this way. I'm looking forward to trying again now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made a version of this card, my first one I folded wrong but it still turned out good. Pics at:
    http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?set=recent&gallery=3&cmd=display&layout_id=1413006
    Second version turned out right, now to decorate! Thanks for the tutorial and the pics! JoanT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the great tutorial. I've done one and posted it to my blog here: http://ndstamperspot.blogspot.com/2009/09/double-pocket-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very fun fold ... I used it today for my Jacksonbelle challenge card ... love the effect with double-sided paper.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic !!! tutorial its very valuable for clear card designer's...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great instructions, took you some time to do all of it!i really need it to try it with Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are a great teacher. You are so kind to take the time to post great instructions. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such wonderful instructions, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I love the results. I hope to post my card in a couple of weeks. http://merrymadecardscrafts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gracias lindo tutorial.....saludos desde PerĂº

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for posting this. I just did it and I'll use it as an inner pocket for my journal. I found it on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Look at this, 9+ years later you're still helping people out! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just tried this today - I really like the fold. A heads up for anyone using paper with a pattern that must go in one direction - start with your paper with the pattern in the upside down face up position.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very good tutorial, I appreciate you sharing it, thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just a newbie here to journal making so I tried this out with plain copy paper. It was so easy to do. I will now do some in printed card stock now. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!