Thursday, May 7, 2009

George Says It Like It Is!

Today's patriotic card was made with stamps from God Bless America, one of the new May releases from one of my favorite stamp companies, Our Daily Bread designs. This flag just looks like it's waving in my Nebraska breeze!

The SCS Ways To Use It Challenge today uses one of my favorite cardstocks -- Kraft! It's perfect for the idea I had about an old, distressed flag. When we went to Washington D.C. as a family several years ago, one of the most interesting and moving exhibits to me was the actual "Star Spangled Banner" - the flag that was flying over Ft. McHenry in 1814, and the one that Francis Scott Key saw when he penned the words to our national anthem. It is in an air-tight case, with very dim light, because it is deteriorating. I just stood there for a very long time, looking at it, and at the exhibit. I thought it was just amazing that that was the real thing! What a wonderful representation of our country and its fight for freedom.

My flag image is stamped in Black Stazon and colored with Real Red and Brilliant Blue Stampin' Up! markers. I then rubbed Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress ink all over the image, crumpled it up, sprayed it with water, and let it dry. The Bella Rose red designer paper is from Stampin' Up! I sewed a little "X" on each side of the flag with linen thread.

The George Washington quote is stamped in Night of Navy ink, then with the Tea Dye ink. All edges are distressed with the Tim Holtz Paper Distresser. The hardware and patterned star ribbon is from my stash of "stuff" that I have had forever.

If you are interested in Blog Candy, see this post! Today I am adding a package of new Prima flowers!! I will post a picture of everything a little later this week. Thanks for stopping by!

Stamps: God Bless America by ODBD
Paper: Kraft, Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Stampin' Up! Bella Rose DP
Ink: Night of Navy, Black Stazon, Real Red, Brilliant Blue, Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress
Accessories: photo turn, hardware frame, star charm, patterned ribbon, linen thread, needle, distressing tool

6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Judy! Beautifully created!
    I too have seen the original flag, that inspired Francis Scott Key and it is quite an experience! As a child I went to Fort McHenry and remember it still. Living near Frederick, MD for many years, I have seen many of the historical sites there also. There is so much history in this part of the country and so happy to be able to visit them. Glad you were able to see the American History Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful Judy! That blue is so striking -- it almost looks like a stained-glass window with light coming from behind. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FANTASTIC Judy!! Love what you've done with this sketch and all your fabulous details!! Your flag is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, this is fantastic! I love the distressed look and the hardware/star embellie!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beauty! Wow, that is such a pretty and awe inspiring card! gorgeous coloring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!