Friday, June 28, 2013

Goat Wrangling, Cactus in the Pants and Celebrations

If you have been reading my blog, you know that this summer I am taking spontaneous road trips here and there around my state. There is actually a purpose for this, other than just fun. I am working on a book of photographs and poetry, along with some crafty things included that I find along the way for repurposing and sharing.

In any case, usually on a road trip, I start out much sooner than 2:30 PM!! I just got the itch, and into my little car I went. Wouldn't have been so bad had I not decided to go so far..... all in all the trip was 7 1/2 hours from start to finish (including stops and chats). I took some lovely photos (over 80) and had some fun adventures. The people in Nebraska are so friendly and willing to talk and help you. Yesterday I had four conversations with people along the way, learning little tidbits about them and their lives and celebrations, as well as the countryside. Some of those times are the best of my day.

Yesterday Ron and Harold shared their art with me. Ron is a painter, and had a beautiful collection of oils and watercolors from his travels to Alaska. Harold was actually a model for a beautiful pencil drawing. We laughed about the fact that the drawing only included his boot and the belly of his horse. But what a fabulous drawing it was. He was pretty proud of his boot.  I asked for directions to this spot I had heard about. They were like an old married couple, trying to both tell me their version of how to get there so I wouldn't miss it. So fun. My destination -- an overlook along Highway 83 out of Thedford, going south. This is what I saw:
That is the Dismal River down there -- a misnomer for sure. it is bigger than it looks in this photo. Great for canoeing, as Nebraskans know. And for a girl that has lived in the "flat" part of Nebraska for 20 years, and comes from the mountains and forests in the west, this was Nebraska heaven. Quiet and peaceful - not dismal at all. Somewhere in that river are my husband's car keys from many years ago.....

Along the way, I met up with some goats. Naughty little creatures, which I find incredibly cute. They all came running toward me as if I had some surprise for them. I SO wish I had had my phone in my hand to take a video because the image of them running and bleating just made me laugh out loud. Pure joy to me. Here they come:
And a better view of the "kids":
The babies decided the grass was greener on the other side of the fence where I was and began squirming underneath to escape. This worried me, since it was close to a busy highway, so I spent the next several minutes chasing them and putting them back over the fence. Yep, I picked them up, lasooed them with leashes hanging on the fence (this tells me their escape was common!), and chased them with a weed switch, all with an expensive camera around my neck!

And this Arizona girl learned that Prickly Pear Cactus grows here too....after I got back in the car, I noticed little aliens all attached to my pant legs like leeches. And --- the goats were out again. Moral of the story: Goats are naughty. They don't need my help.

So much more in my 7 1/2 hours that I will share later, but basically, I love the Heart of America. And watching families play horseshoes in their tiny little town square. Sno-cone stands. And red, white, and blue. So I am celebrating the day yesterday with a little 4.25" square greeting from The {Stamps} of Life:
This is a new June mini set called ministars4you. Take a peek:
A cute little Independence Day greeting -- or for anytime! Easy and fast -- like baby goats. Thanks for stopping by and sharing my roady adventures! Farmer's market tomorrow -- hope I find some yummies there!


Challenges for this card: 
Chocolate, Coffee & Cards - 4th of July
Clearly iStamp - Red, white and blue 
Kitty Bee Designs Aloha Friday Challenges - Red, white and blue
Craft Lovin Challenge Blog - Independence Day  
Sugar Creek Hollow - Your Flag colors 
2 Sisters - Stripes

6 comments:

  1. Wow, the river is beautiful! I LOVE trips like that! We do trips like that around VA, and though we've stumbled upon wild turkeys, llamas, deer, etc., we've never had to wrangle goats. I can't wait to hear more about your trips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Great little story! Love the kids! .... and cute card to finish with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute photos! I have been around goats many times, they are little stinkers. LOL

    Love your card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty in that part of the country! How fun are those little trips you are taking?! Looking forward to hearing more... TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun road trip, it is awesome that you can just jump in the car and go! :) Love the goats! Your card is super cute of course, you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fun road trip and I love the pics of the "kids". I've always wanted to learn how to take better pictures, yours are really great! The little red/white/blue card is adorable too.

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!