Tuesday, February 7, 2012

For My Poppy

When I was in college, I received a treasured gift from my dad, which hangs in my living room today. It was an oil painting of a poppy garden. I was young (17), but loved art, music and the humanities, and my dad also knew that I loved flowers with bright colors. We didn't have a lot of extra money, and I knew that he had sacrificed a lot to purchase it.

It was a rather unique gift, I thought, because it made me feel like an adult. I owned a beautifully framed oil painting!

Over the years, as we have moved, it has always hung in my living room. I love the warm, rich hues of the petals and the muted impressionistic background. I started acquiring several different types of poppy artwork, and have hung them all in the living rooms in our homes.

Incidentally, I didn't call my dad "Dad." To him, and to my sister, he was always "Poppy." Now that he is gone (a little over two years), it brings me so much comfort to see his gift and the warmth of his smile in the picture of the two of us right below it on the end table, and I am grateful for the man he was and the father he was. I miss you, Poppy.

Stamps: Poppy Patch by Flourishes & French Script by Stampin' Up!
Paper: Always Artichoke, Kraft, Pumpkin Pie, Mellow Moss, Very Vanilla, Apricot Appeal, watercolor, DP by K & Co.
Ink: Apricot Appeal, Pumpkin Pie, Mellow Moss, Certainly Celery, VersaMark, VersaColor Bamboo, Paprika and Topaz, Antique Linen Distress
Accessories: Grand Ovals, Circles Large, Labels 10 (Spellbinders), grungeboard (Tim Holtz), MS punch, metal heart charm, stick pin, crinkled seam binding (French Market), Chino Pearls (Kaiser), Diamond Stickles, Clear EP (Ranger), distressing tool, Cuttlebug EF


7 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous Judy. Such a touching story too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, What a beautiful tribute to your Poppy! I loved reading the story behind the card as much as I enjoyed the seeing your beautiful card. Thank you for a wonderful dose of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bright, cheery colors!! Your Poppy is loving todays card for sure and knowing how much you treasure his gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card Judy! Love the colors!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card. I made a poppy card, but not as intricate and beautiful as yours. Gorgeous card Judy and great story too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!