Monday, May 4, 2020

Let's Shake It Up Under the Sea!

Today I am going to highlight one of my favorite techniques - a shaker card! That plus a little mixed media makes me super happy when I am creating.

I am using the Fish Bowl 4 x6 stamp set from Brutus Monroe for my images. I started out by doing a light watercolor wash for my background in blues and greens. While that was drying, I applied Key Lime Glitter Glaze to a chipboard Under the Sea panel. I sprinkled some blue glitter from the Tropical Collection Glitter Set into the glaze, and used a palette knife to spread it around.



On my watercolor panel, I traced the inside of the glittered frame, and then arranged my fish inside the frame. I stamped in Raven ink and then colored in my images using alcohol markers. To make my shaker, I cut a piece of acetate (I used to be a teacher, and actually use transparencies for overhead projectors!) to fit my frame and attached it using Tissue Tape. I added foam tape around the edges to hold in my shaker mix.

Now here is where people differ on their shakers. Some put the mix in the top and add the bottom panel, and some put it in the bottom and add the acetate panel. It doesn't really matter; whatever is easiest for you! I had a mixture of sequins, confetti, and teardrops in "sea colors" in my stash, so I used that for my shaker mix.



I decided the front of the panel needed "something," so I found some jewels and sea buttons in my stash. I cut off the back of the button, and hot glued everything to the front. I tried white glue and glue dots, but they didn't stick as well as I wanted them to, so my Glue Gun came out!



The fish and sea creatures in this set have such personalities!



I loved creating this mixed media underwater shaker scene, and I know the recipient will have fun with it - it's going to my granddaughter, who loves the ocean! All the products from Brutus Monroe make creating so easy and fun!



Do you like making shaker cards? Leave me a comment and a link, so I can come visit and see yours!


Challenges:
Colouring in Scrapland - ANYTHING GOES/OPTION SPLASHES  
Get Creative Challenges - #91 MAKE IT SPARKLY

2 comments:

  1. Judy, this is gorgeous! This has all the wows! I love the sparkle. I can't get a shaker to work. For some reason I can never get the tape secure enough, shaker stuff ends up end up falling out. :( I think they are magical though and love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and unique card.
    Thank you for joining us and good luck.
    Maya, Colouring in Scrapland DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!